Don Umerley Civic Center – 21016 Hilliard Blvd.
440-895-2599 (Program information)
440-895-2594 (Memorial Hall Room rentals)
Don Umerley Civic Center is open and waiting for you! The "Recreation" side of the building houses a Gym, Track, Indoor Pool, Fitness Center, Aerobics Studios, Indoor Playground, Cycling Room, Multi-purpose Room and Kids Cove baby sitting room. Memberships are available for Rocky River residents and employees of Rocky River businesses. Fees depend on type and size of membership.
For the most up-to-date information on fees, memberships, and hours please call the Center at 440-895-2599.
CURRENT CIVIC CENTER HOURS:
- Monday -Thursday: 5:30 am - 9:30 pm (Pool closes at 8:30 pm)
- Friday: 5:30 am - 9:00 pm (Pool closes at 8:30 pm)
- Saturday: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm (Pool closes at 6:30 pm)
- Sunday: 11:00 am - 6:00 pm (Pool closes at 5:30 pm)
- The Civic Center is closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, *Thanksgiving, * Christmas (please note that on 11/26, the building closes at 8:30 PM, 12/24, the building closes at 12:00 noon, and on 12/31, the building closes at 4:00 PM.)
*Please Note - MEMORIAL HALL is the facility for large gatherings. Please refer to Memorial Hall if that is the facility you may need for your event. The Multi -purpose room at the Civic Center is for small children's parties that may include indoor pool and playground.
Memorial Hall - 21016 Hilliard Blvd.
The "Memorial Hall" side of the Civic Center features the large Memorial Hall, mid-size Community Room, and one smaller Club Room which are available to rent for parties, meetings, showers and community events.
Hamilton Ice Arena - 21018 Hilliard Blvd.
440-356-5656 (Open September - March)
Skating lessons, open skates, adult skates, youth hockey and special events are provided for both residents and non-residents. Birthday parties may be scheduled during afternoon open skates.
Hamilton Ice Arena is open from September through March, and offers open skates, lessons for all ages, travel hockey, and birthday parties. It is also the home ice for the Rocky River High School Hockey Team.
In the spring, the ice is melted away and replaced with soccer turf. During the spring and summer the turf is used for indoor soccer programs, soccer leagues, day camp and a variety of other activities
Outdoor Municipal Pool (Water Zone) – 21018 Hilliard Blvd.
440-356-5660 (Open June - August)
The Rocky River Water Zone is open early June through late August. The attached sprayground opens in May closes in September. Residents may purchase season passes or pay admission at the door. Proof of residency is required. Four two-week sessions of swimming lessons are offered, beginning in mid-June.
Indoor Soccer Arena – 21018 Hilliard Blvd.
The indoor soccer arena is open April through August. The artificial turf appears when the rink ice is melted away, providing fields for Adult, High School and Youth Soccer leagues. The turf is also used for preschool programs, day camp and special events.
Elmwood Cabin at Elmwood Park – 600 Elmwood Road
The original Elmwood Cabin was built in the 1950's. In November, 2002, a fire of undetermined origin destroyed the cabin. City administration, community members and businesses rallied not only to replace the cabin but to enhance it.
Rocky River resident and architect, John Milloy donated his time and talent to the project. His plan sought to re-create the original cabin with updated features. General contractor was Apex Construction. The new cabin is a 2400 square foot building with wooden timbers, dramatic stone and glass block.
Seating capacity inside the cabin is 80 people. The covered outside pavilion has 6 picnic tables. The cabin is heated and has restroom facilities. Inside and outside fireplaces; kitchen with refrigerator, microwave and range; internet and cable TV connections and attached covered picnic shelter will make this facility popular for Rocky River residents and community groups for years to come.
Special thanks to the following organizations for their efforts in raising funds to assist in rebuilding the cabin and landscaping the grounds:
- Smythe, Cramer's Rocky River Office sold mugs and t-shirts with proceeds going to cabin rebuilding.
- Beach Cliff Garden Club made a $250 donation towards new landscaping.
- Rocky River Parks & Recreation Foundation raised $20,000 from the 2003 "Hole in One Shootout" with those funds earmarked for cabin reconstruction. Funds raised at the Foundation's benefit clambake in October 2003 were used for landscaping.