The City of Rocky River is divided into five sections and each section has a regular refuse collection day each week. If you are interested in knowing the pick-up day in your area, contact the Service Department at 356-5630.
In the case of a holiday, collections continue one day later than the regular scheduled day.
2017 City holidays include: Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Backyard Trash Pick-up Rules for Residents
1. Do not place trash out before 7:00 p.m. the night before collection.
2. Trash containers cannot be stored in plain view from street.
3. Do not place weekly regular trash containers (metal or plastic) on tree lawn unless they are to be permanently disposed of.
4. Place "blue bag" recyclables with regular trash no earlier than 7:00 p.m. the night before collection. Do not leave blue bag recyclables on the tree lawn.
5. Do not leave blue bags and regular trash near items that are not to be collected (ie. near grills, children's toys or anything of value).
Gross weight of any filled container/bag shall not exceed fifty (50) pounds. It is important to note that city personnel are not allowed to enter buildings or any enclosure to collect refuse.
Heavy, discarded items such as stoves, washers, furniture, rugs, paint cans if paint is dried up (use something like kitty litter), etc. may be placed on the tree lawn on regular collection days. Items such as asphalt, concrete, lead acid automobile batteries, motor oil (properly marked in unbreakable container), etc. will also be collected from tree lawns on regular collection days.
Brush, tree limbs, etc. should be tied up into 4’ lengths and left on the tree lawn for pick up.
Transfer Station: The City maintains a transfer station at the Rocky River Service Garage, 22401 Lake Road, where citizens may dump municipal refuse. New Transfer Station Hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM; Saturday 8:00 AM - Noon. No commercial waste allowed. No landscapers will be permitted to dump at the Transfer Station.
The following items cannot be dumped at the transfer station: roofing materials, batteries, (commercial and copious amounts of) asphalt and concrete, paint, tires, propane tanks, hazardous waste, asbestos, infectious waste. On Saturdays no dirt or concrete is accepted due to limited operations.
2016 Special Waste Collection Events
At various times of the year, the county administers a collection program for paint and computers. They also collect pesticides, herbicides and fungicides. Please leave the Special Collection items on your tree lawn (labeled and in a cardboard box) on the following dates:
- Recycle your Computer Week – April 18th – 22nd
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal – May 2nd – 6th
Recycle your Computer Week – August 22nd – 26th
- Household Hazardous Waste Disposal – September 12th – 16th
- Scrap Tire Roundup – September 12th – 16th